March is National Poison Prevention Month and, as so, we wanted to share with our customers some of the best practices for what to do in the event of an emergency.
While it doesn’t happen all the time, when someone consumes chemicals, medicines, or household products, you’ll want to be prepared. Here is some information from the US Department of Health and Human Services on what to do in the event of a poisoning:
- If the person is not breathing, call 911.
- If the person inhaled poison, get him or her fresh air right away.
- If the person has poison on the skin, take off any clothing the poison touched. Rinse skin with running water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If the person has poison in the eyes, rinse eyes with running water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do not use activated charcoal when you think someone may have been poisoned.
Calling Poison Help
- Do not wait for signs of poisoning before calling Poison Help (1-800-222-1222), which connects you to your local poison center. Stay calm. Not all medicines, chemicals, or household products are poisonous. Not all contact with poison results in poisoning.
- Make sure to have the container of the product you think caused the poisoning nearby. The label has important information.
Be ready (if you can) to tell the expert on the phone:
- The exposed person’s age and weight
- Known health conditions or problems
- The product involved
- How the product contacted the person (for example, by mouth, by inhaling, through the skin, or through the eyes)
- How long ago the poison contacted the person
- What first aid has already been given
- Whether the person has vomited
- Your exact location and how long it would take you to get to a hospital